Brevard Doula Services
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother and supporting family before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
Staci Plonsky , CD(DONA) has been a birth doula since 2010. She serves all of Brevard County, including Melbourne, Merritt Island, Rockledge, Cocoa and Palm Bay, Titusville and surrounding areas.
A Birth Doula
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decisions
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman’s memory of the birth experience
- Allows the woman’s partner to participate at his/her comfort level
“Having a baby is hard enough. No woman should be asked to do anything else while she is having a baby. She shouldn’t have to renegotiate a birth plan, argue with her care providers about the evidence supporting her decisions, or advocate for her baby. She also shouldn’t have to comfort her husband or reassure her mother or educate her sister. Everyone around the birthing mother should attend her like the queen she is.”
–Elizabeth Allemann, MD–